Wednesday, September 14, 2005

It blows to admit it, but the summer is over. Every morning on the way to work I can feel summer leaving and fall arriving. Which isn't a bad thing (yet), usually the next 4-5 weeks are beautiful, but it also signals the onset of the worst time in Chicago- the five month winter.

With that in mind, I will be making my annual compilation of summer music this week and handing it out to whomever desires to have it. I will be listening to it for the next month while the weather is still nice and then I will retire it, as is customary, when it becomes too cold and windy to tolerate upbeat and fun music.

Although my music tastes are somewhat eclectic and probably not mainstream, I think the summer compilation is the place for more popular and melodic music, as the season of outdoor parties and street festivals and beer gardens demands it. The only other requirement is that each collection should be representative of the summer in which it was made. That's where you come in. What are your favorite summer songs, and which ones are particular to 2005?

This year's installment will be one volume, and I need a few more nominees. The nominees right now, in no particular order, are-

Over My Head (Cable Car), by The Fray - the record came out yesterday, this song is a mortal lock on my summer soundtrack. I will be checking out this band with Ben Folds at the Chicago Theater on 10/27, and if all goes as planned, will be enjoying an enormous steak with these guys at Gibson's beforehand. Props to my man JDI for getting them on the national stage.

Poppin Them Thangs, by G Unit - I argue that this is the best rhymes that the Big 3 in G-Unit come up with on their debut album, and is good traveling music. In the rotation on my Itunes.

Pictures Of Success, by Rilo Kiley - A sentimental favorite and in the rotation this summer in particular. Probably the last song on the compilation because of its length.

Feeling Good, by Michael Bublé - great crooner song, I am thinking about adding it to my list of songs I can sing at a Karaoke event without completely humiliating myself. I will be debuting that performance at a later date, probably at the Hidden Cove in a drunken stupor.

Blinded In Crosstown Traffic (While Thinking Of Something Else), by You Me & Iowa - A bouncy indie tune that rocks in the car and has a lot of heavy, bubbly bass. Ryan Julio can play the bass, no doubt about it.

I'm so Fly, by Lloyd Banks - This song made me like the new wave of pop-rap. Lloyd Banks was 20 when he recorded this song. Prodigious talent.

The District Sleeps Alone, by The Postal Service - Although the ultimate summer Postal Service song is probably Such Great Heights, that song has been beaten to death. Also, I have listened to DC Sleeps a lot more this year, and like it a lot...

Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine, by The Killers - Not the most pleasant subject matter in the world, but this song makes me want to party and I notice the energy level in the room increase when it is played. In the summer rotation this year.

Beverly Hills, by Weezer - Okay, I admit this is borderline, but I have heard it a lot in bars in July and August and it is reminiscent of the whimsical Blue Album, which has a special place in my heart.

Otherside, by The Red Hot Chili Peppers - This get nominated because when I don't know what I want to listen to, Californication is a default pick and I really like what this song lends to the album. My second favorite Chili Peppers album to BloodSugarSexMagic, there are a bunch of songs off this album that are summer-appropriate.

Right now it has a little of everything, but I need 5 or 6 more songs. Help me out here. I've searching through my music and am stuck. I think maybe the problem is that I listen to too many bands that are brooding, depressing indie rockers.

Whenever I think about making a cd, I always think about the John Cusack monologues in High Fidelity where he talks about the art of the mix tape and how the order and structure must be very precise in order to communicate the idea you are trying to communicate. I just take a lot of songs I like from a particular period in my life and put them on a cd.

Speaking of music, I am seeing Bloc Party tonight at the Congress Theater with K-Rock and that should be a good show.

That's all for now. It's hump day, always a welcome day. Are things looking up for the end of the week? Hard to tell right now...

3 comments:

Via Chicago said...

+ The Fox - Sleater-Kinney
+ Los Angeles I'm Yours - Decemberists
+ Number One Spot - Ludacris
+ Celebration - Kanye West
+ Hate It or Love It (Remix) - aka the 50 version.
+ Yellow Ones - Pinback

The Count Del Monte said...

Gold Digger - Kanye West
Jumpers - Sleater-Kinney ("the coldest winter I ever saw was the summer that I spent . . ."), otherwise What's Mine is Yours from the same album
Little Ghost - The White Stripes
Chi City - Common (just for the title)
Que Onda Guero - Beck
Another Traveling Song - Bright Eyes
As a summer closer, Friends - Ryan Adams and the Cardinals. No shit about Ryan Adams; this is a beautiful song for reflecting.

shane said...

you should also consider some stuff off of Common's latest album and off of John Legand's album(his first) that came out this summer

and i agree with Kanye's Gold Digger but there are other good summer jams off of that album too