Tuesday, October 18, 2005

It's flattering that you want my identity, but...

Well, add me to the list of people that have been victimized by electronic identity theft. Some ass clown got ahold of my debit card number on Friday afternoon and went to town. The charges just started clearing today and now I have to go through the hassle of getting the money back (since it's a debit and not a credit card, the money is already gone).

I can't figure out how it happened either...I have never used my debit card for an online transaction in my life, and I didn't lose the card, in fact, I still have it. It must have been a lucky hit by a computer program cranking out millions of numbers. Brutal. And to whoever stole my number and tried to drain my checking account on Friday: $125 at Baker's Square? Do you like a little french silk pie to go with your credit card fraud? You're probably some 425-lb freak show living in your mom's basement well into your 30's and eating pies out of the box while shopping online with stolen credit cards for Dungeons & Dragons accessories and mail-order brides who won't make fun of your lack of personal hygiene and your virginity. Asshole.

That's all my personal news for today. The Astros took a gut punch last night as they were one strike away from a World Series berth, but they let Fat Albert, the one guy in baseball that you absolutely cannot allow to hit in this situation, take one very, very deep in the 9th to win the game. It was heart-wrenching, and all I have to say is that the Astros better get their act together because no Cubs fan can be expected to get through a White Sox-Cardinals World Series without commiting a violent crime against a fan of one of those two teams.

We've got another hurricane set to make landfall this weekend, but hopefully it will take it a little easier on the Gulf Coast than the last three. If you want to help out, see the link to help victims to the right of this post.

If you're going to Iowa City this weekend for the big Iowa-Michigan showdown, make sure to wear black to the tailgates and especially to the game. The UI athletic department is starting an annual tradition of "Black Out Saturday" where fans are encouraged to wear all black to the stadium to enhance our home field advantage. I say whatever it takes, we should do it. Plus "Black Out Saturday" is an appropriate term for big games like Michigan. I may do a little blacking out myself.

That's it for now. I'm going to try a new place for dinner tonight that's getting a lot of buzz, the Blue Water Grill. I don't really eat a lot of raw fish, but when in Rome, I guess.

Rock on.

2 comments:

Screwsan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Screwsan said...

Last week I read in The NY Post (or was it the Daily News? All the headlines about John Gotti and baby-stabbing run together in my head) that Meth heads are responsible for a new wave of identity theft because, being awake for weeks at a time, they have nothing better to do than to find ways to hack into people's bank accounts.

Therefore your identity thief was probably a crystal meth addict. The $125 was actually spent on coffee injected directly into his veins in the restroom to tide him over until he could get back to his trailer outside of Peoria and make more meth.

My question is: couldn't we round up all these people and sit them down in a high tech laboratory and make them spend their trip-outs curing alzheimers in exchange for prison terms? That would be like the opposite of identity theft.