Thursday, October 13, 2005

"And all I find are souvenirs from better times..."

I expect this from other bands, but not you Death Cab. You are awesome and your live sound has always impressed me, you have a charismatic and talented front man, and quite simply, you rock. I thought that even your recent meteoric rise to popularity (by indie rock standards) wouldn't compromise your ability to kick ass in a small, intimate setting like the Riv.

But alas, you wrought disappointment on the Chicago crowd last night. Your setlist was slow, devoid of energy, and while you sounded as tight as ever, I wondered why I came all the way to Uptown to take a nap. There is so much potential in your catalog, and by now you must surely know how to build a show. Last night's show should have been subtitled "Indie rock for people who like adult contemporary music." If you were at the show last night and loved it, I have a Yanni/John Tesh compilation that I think you will enjoy.

But I'm still not giving up on you, Death Cab. I'm going to your next show and I'm going to give you a chance to make it up to me. Stop trying to please all the high school students in the crowd who heard your (lame) single off of Plans and start worrying about how great you used to sound on the Photo Album and We Have the Facts and get back to the rocking.

Highlights were (sigh), Crooked Teeth and The New Year. If you want the setlist, check out K-Rock's review here. That's all on that subject.


It's been a crazy day today...I have a ton to do, but I'll hopefully be able to catch a movie tonight and relax, because this weekend looks to be a rager (seriously?).

Oh, and by the way- Nice call, Doug Eddings. I guess as a Chicagoan I have to be happy that last night's ALCS mishap bounced the way of the Sox, but come on. A pivotal situation calls for efficient, clear-cut umpiring. If Pierzynski is called out as he should have been (and was, twice), and the Angels win that game, I don't think there is any way the series comes back to Chicago. Now the Sox can bring the series back to the Cell by getting just 1 of 3 in LA and the whole landscape of the series changes.

Umpires have a tough job. They deserve our respect. But let's get our best and brightest out there to umpire home plate in the pennant series, and let's make sure that they call the play one way or the other. The Angels have a right to be upset.

It's almost the weekend. Get out your black and gold. See you soon.
T

No comments: