Thursday, May 18, 2006

Quick Hits: Yo' Momma Edition

*Happy belated Mother's Day to all the moms out there. I hope you did something relaxing on the big day this past Sunday...for my mom, it usually involves a long bike ride, dinner someplace where she doesn't have to cook, and Letterman.

Mother's Day is probably the most important of the Hallmark holidays (although I don't particularly subscribe to them) because moms are usually the most underappreciated in a family. Never has a day gone by in the last 28 years when my mom hasn't made a sacrifice for one of her kids. Putting your kids before yourself is what being a parent is all about...after all, having a child makes you no more a parent than having a piano makes you a pianist. It's what you do with it once you have it that counts. Happy Mother's Day, mom.

*I was on the road last weekend in Utah and Las Vegas testing out several venues for TheBigDay in September. Big Ups to all of them:

The Wynn Hotel: Although I'll be staying at the Bellagio in September, I'll be spending time at the Wynn every time I visit Vegas. Great rooms, great light show out back at night, lots of fun to be had at Lure and Tryst, and plenty of table games for all. Auto shuffle on the $15 blackjack tables is bush league though. Believe me, I lose my money plenty fast when you have to shuffle.

Bear's Best: We're playing golf before the rehearsal dinner at this course, and it is pretty fabulous. Located 11 miles west of the strip, it is a combination of Jack Nicklaus's 18 best-designed holes in the western part of North America. Really a fun and difficult course. I didn't play too well there, but I birdied the 537-yard par-5 17th with a monster 280-yard three-wood from the fairway to the back of the green and a routine two-putt.

Entrada Golf Club at Snow Canyon: Where all of the magic is happening...golf, ceremony, pictures, and reception. TheDad stayed at the Inn, we ate at the clubhouse, and played the course. It passed all tests. Entrada is one of my all-time favorite golf courses, especially holes 15 through 18, when you're playing in the lava beds...it's like playing on the moon. The course is a Johnny Miller design managed by Troon Golf, so the course is in impeccable shape.

*The Cubs took 2 of three from the Nats this week, but Woody got rung up for 5 runs in five innings in his first start since last July. It's a long road back from shoulder and knee injuries, but we need every win right now and today didn't help. Nothing we can do but look forward to the first of two inter-city series with the hated White Sox, kicking off tomorrow afternoon.

*The uproar over hazing by the Northwestern University women's soccer team continues. I think this whole thing is much ado about nothing. News flash to all you PC Hazing Police: hazing occurs on every campus, for every sports team and every social group worth joining. Sometimes it goes too far and people get hurt or humiliated. But almost all of the time, as in the case at Northwestern, nobody was forced to do anything. Here's another bolt of wisdom: college underclassmen like getting dressed up with their teammates and drinking beers and engaging in team-building activities (even if they include R-rated skits, writing on each other, etc). I was hazed in college for both my athletic team and social institution. Some stuff I didn't like. 90% of it was really fun and purely to bring me closer to my teammates or pledge class. And it worked. Some of my fondest memories from college involve rites of initiation.

Jason Whitlock makes a great point about the Northwestern scandal in today's column: Why aren't we seeing this as gender equity? People have looked the other way for decades when fraternities and male sports teams engage in hazing involving drinking, writing on each other, sexuality, and subversion to their athletic female counterparts. Now that women are getting in on it, people are going crazy. Why isn't this okay as long as nobody on the Northwestern team complains? Look at the pictures for yourself. Does it look like these girls are being made to participate against their will? Or does it look like they are having a great time having a few drinks, ruining their white t-shirts, and running around scantily clad to the boy's soccer house? It's college. These girls are athletes at one of the most pretigious colleges in the nation. They obviously have shown that they can handle the rigors of Big 10 athletics while attending school in a demanding academic setting. Maybe we should let them take the freshman out and initiate them into the club for an evening without suspending the entire team and embarrassing them on a national stage.

*The Da Vinci Code is getting torn a new one as it debuts in Cannes and is reviewed in most major publications. Frankly, I'm not surprised. I was not impressed with the book and don't expect to be by the movie, when I catch it on HBO in a year.

*This weekend I am going to short game school to refine the most inconsistent part of my game. Gamblers in my foursome beware: when I master the tricks of Dave Pelz's trade, I will be a remorseless scoring machine. Also, BigBro and LittleBro will be in for the weekend, so we'll break in my new digs with a soiree on Saturday as a warm-up to the official housewarming to take place on Saturday of Memorial Day weekend.

Let's get a couple wins this weekend, Cubbies.
T

2 comments:

Screwsan said...

It is sadly typical that college women who do sexy things when men aren't watching are labeled as morally corrupt, while college women who do sexy things while men watch (or film) them are "wild;" you know, just having a good time.

During my senior year and the year after I graduated, my college was featured in no fewer than 3 articles in Rolling Stone magazine. What was going on at my school that was so shocking and crazy that a seen-it-all rock mag like Rolling Stone had to expose the truth so thoroughly?

The students were having sex. Sometimes with professors. Sometimes with each other. Sometimes with people from other schools entirely. Crazy right? Um...not so much.

This was only newsworthy because I went to a women's college.

Last year, Page Six reported that at an annual on-campus party, a bunch of Wellesley girls were taken to the infirmary with alcohol poisoning. I remind you that Page Six is part of the New York Post and reports celebrity gossip. Wellesley is located in the Boston suburbs. Why on earth, you ask, would Page Six care if some college students drank too much at a college party? They wouldn't, except that the party is called The Dyke Ball.

The media reports this shit like it's broadcasting live from the inside of a women's prison. People love to hear about all the crazy, pervy, naughty stuff girls do to other girls, but then vent their puritanical, hypocritical guilt on those same girls.

Wellesley girls were known across Boston as being easy and slutty, though most of the Wellesley girls I knew were either lesbians or study-hounds who never left campus. My friends and I managed to get out and socialize, but what we saw when we did was Harvard girls in skimpy clothing throwing themselves on their male peers as if they were on fire.

The Wellesley-to-Boston bus was known as the Fuck Truck.

Anyway, obviously, I could go on for days about this.

Men are fascinated by societies that exclude them. But be careful: if you don't worship the penis, you will be punished.

God, it's like a Lynne Cheney novel in here.

Unknown said...

Amen Susan. For the record though, I do think that it's a crime when women don't share the crazy, pervy, naughty things that they do to each other when men aren't around. Double standard be damned.

And Wellesley girls are easy.