Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Quick hits: Long Layoff Edition

Hello out there...sorry for the extended layoff. It's been a busy month, what with the beginning of the Cubs season, a big relocation, and lots of stuff at work. But the spring has sprung in Chiacago and I have a lot to look forward to in the coming weeks and months. Here we go:

1) The Cubs Suck: We're in mired in a 7-game losing streak right now, starting with the finale of the homestand on May 2 and including an 0-6 road trip out west so far. We're finding all sorts of ways to lose, but the common thread is no offense. We've scored 8 runs in the last 7 games, including 5 games when we've scored zero or one run. We simply can't get anything going on offense. We're also careless on the base paths (Jacque Jones), can't hit cutoff men (Juan Pierre), and our rotation is struggling too. I don't know what the solution is. I suppose we have to just wait until DLee, Woody, Prior, and Miller return to the active roster. Woody has sparkled in his rehab starts, and looks to be ready to go after one more minor league outing. What can I say? It's the same, disappointing swoon, just a different year. Offering correspondant GRide returned from the first part of his Cubs road trip without seeing a victory. Not good.

2) I've Relocated: Last week I finally bit the bullet and moved in with TheGirl; we'll be living in sin until the end of September when I make it against the law for her to sleep with other men. We moved into the hip Southport Corridor, which is teeming with bars, restaurants, and other fun stuff to do. The residents of my neighborhood are much older than my previous spot, but it's just as lively and I've really been pleasantly surprised. The nightlife surrounding my new place is much better than before, we're still close to public transportation, and we're closer to Wrigley Field. Our new place is spacious, light, and well-appointed. I had a lot of reservations about moving in with TheGirl (never lived with a significant other before), but I'm happy with the new digs. I'm breaking it in on May 20th when my brothers visit Chicago and we have a small gathering, and our official housewarming party is Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. Should be a rager.

3) Iran: Apparently the diplomatic letter sent to the Man In Charge wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Not surprising. All I've heard from the government in Tehran makes me think that they are not capable of rational discourse, but very capable of making life difficult for us and our allies if we are aggressive toward their sovereignty. That's called a rock and a hard place. Let's hope that cooler heads prevail (in the US, Iran, and Israel) and we don't end up trying to turn Tehran into a parking lot and ending up with two quagmires in the middle east. One is enough.

4) Bonds Is One Away from the Babe: And he is getting exactly what he deserves. I don't think anyone would take the opportunity to break a hallowed baseball record if it came at the price he is paying. He'll live the rest of his life with the cloud of a cheater hanging over his head, and he'll never be able to blame anyone but himself (although he's adept at trying). I really hope he doesn't hit 714 or 715 against the Cubs this weekend, but you have to think that there is an excellent chance with the way things are going for the Cubs these days.

5) Vegas, Baby: I'm heading to Vegas the day after tomorrow for a long weekend with TheGirl, TheDad, and TheInLaws. It should be a blast...we're test-driving our rehearsal dinner spot on Thursday night, staying at the Wynn Hotel, and playing some golf at two world-renowned golf courses. What's not to love? I'm looking forward to getting back out there (haven't been since Thanksgiving) and enjoying the bright lights of Sin City and the red rocks of Utah all in the same weekend.

Have a great week everyone.
T

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You'd be wrong. It was the first thing to go up, with original vintage puke and all.

What's my name?